Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Fixing Ohio's Voting System

Apparently we have 'security issues' with our electronic voting systems in Ohio. At least that's what our Secretary of State is telling us:

"It was worse than I anticipated," the official, Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner, said of the report. "I had hoped that perhaps one system would test superior to the others."

At polling stations, teams working on the study were able to pick locks to access memory cards and use hand-held devices to plug false vote counts into machines. At boards of election, they were able to introduce malignant software into servers

***

Ok. Let's talk about this...are we after a system that is foolproof? Because I'd be willing to bet that no such system exists...after all, there will always be idiots who are willing to go to the extremes: theft of ballots, falsification of ballots, dead folks voting, people voting twice and perhaps the 'easiest' - bribery & payoffs.

Beyond that...we are talking about our neighbors. We are insinuating that our neighbors want to pervert our democracy! Because that's who works at your voting precinct. Not the big, bad people from 'the other party' - but your neighbors. The people who are out there in the morning sending kids off to school, that guy who mows his lawn in the diagonal pattern and that lady that baked cookies for the mailman - those people work in your voting precinct.

I won't speak for you - but I know my precinct volunteers. One of them lives down the street from me...she's a nice old lady. I don't believe for a minute that the thought of tampering with the card readers (or ballots, or lock boxes, or anything for that matter) has ever crossed her mind...or will ever cross it.

I trust my neighbors. I believe that they trust me. If you can't say the same...there isn't a voting security system in the world that can ally all of your fears. And I'm truly sorry for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.